Post Reply  Post Thread 

Seeguard - Mopar question
frd1
I want 6 stars!

Group: Registered
Seeguard - Mopar question

I'm involved in the restoration of a 1939 Chrysler sedan, why would it have P8 on the chassis plate? I thought that was for Plymouth's or are the NZ cars Plymouth's in disguise?

This post was last modified: 05-09-2008 08:42 PM by frd1.

05-09-2008 05:13 PM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
seeguard
Posting Freak

RE: Seeguard - Mopar question

frd 1,the car in question is definitely a Plymouth P8 De Luxe sedan.My 2 door De Soto sedan is also a 39 Plymouth Model called a Roadking which is a bit cheaper and less flash than De Luxe P8.Car you are working with should have column gear change,P7 has floor change.Other differences such as 2 tail lights and belt line trim between models.

Real 1939 Chrysler is a different body style,and body was also used on genuine De Soto,and Dodge Luxury Liner models,only a few of which came here.I once had a 1939 De Soto S 6,and have never seen another.

Generally,most 1939 mopars that came here were Canadian,or American export models,and Plymouth based.In fact my 1939 two door De Soto was built up from a CKD pack by Todd Motors.

Years ago I used to correspond with a Mr Vern Percival who was at Todds at time these cars were built.He was a treasure trove of imformation and told me that only about 12 two door DeSoto and 12 Two door Plymouth cars were assembled in 1939,all from Plymouth CKD packs.

What engine does the Chrysler have?.Number will be on small mechined pad,just above generator on left hand side of motor,below head gasket line.If engine number is ,say,P8*******C,it is Canadian origin,and will be the "big'' 25 inch long motor,unlike the American 23 inch engine.US engine can still be P8,but will not have C in engine number.Unfortunately,both 1939 Canadian and US engines are only 201 CU IN,and not very powerful in a fairly heavy car like the chrysler.

Easiest option for canadian engine,is to fit crank and rods from later 1950's 251 engine.If engine needs boring,use 3 7/16 pistons as well.This transforms engine into a stump puller.This is what I have in my Chris Craft replica,and De Soto.Fargo truck engines are already 251 cu in.

If you can post engine number,I can identify it for you.

A man is a man who will fight with a sword
Or tackle Everest in snow
But the bravest of all drives a '34 Ford
And will try for six thousand in low.

Leadfoot Louie
05-09-2008 08:32 PM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
frd1
I want 6 stars!

Thanks Seeguard, I'll do that.

As far as we can tell the bodies are identical apart from chrome trim and the front doors on the Chrysler have opening vent windows but the Plymouth has one big glass. According to info I have read, the Chrysler should have more differences than that.The engine rebuilder remarked on the fact it has the bigger engine in it. Must be Canadian eh?

05-09-2008 08:41 PM
frd1
I want 6 stars!

frd1 Wrote:

I'm involved in the restoration of a 1939 Chrysler sedan, why would it have P8 on the chassis plate? I thought that was for Plymouth's or are the NZ cars Plymouth's in disguise?

Should have added there is a Plymouth being done at the same time which is handy for comparisons.

05-09-2008 08:43 PM
seeguard
Posting Freak

True Chrysler has a totally different body line and does not have bustle type trunk of Plymouth body.Plymouth body of '39,is a carryover from 1937,1939 Chrysler is totally new body shape.
Plymouth had square shaped headlight glasses,while chrysler has tear drop shape,more like 39 Ford.
Quarterlight window is a hallmark of De Luxe models.Cheap versions had full window glass.

A man is a man who will fight with a sword
Or tackle Everest in snow
But the bravest of all drives a '34 Ford
And will try for six thousand in low.

Leadfoot Louie

This post was last modified: 05-09-2008 08:54 PM by seeguard.

05-09-2008 08:52 PM
frd1
I want 6 stars!

Interesting! I'll post some pictures of them when they are finished around the last week of the month.

06-09-2008 06:49 AM
aleezysam

he restored it from a box of bits but it was never a good bike as far as riding went but i feel it looks great in the lounge

Braindumps http://www.braindump.ws
08-11-2013 04:32 PM
bazza102

Hey
Seaguard, remember when I was going to call on you yrs ago and do a shed inspection. I didn't being emails until I resumed at w,hitch time you appeared to have disappeared. Would like to touch base next time down that way. May be wooden boat show?

This post was last modified: 12-11-2013 11:27 PM by bazza102.

12-11-2013 11:26 PM
admin
Administrator

Group: Administrators
Rolleyes  RE:  Seeguard - Mopar question

aleezysam Wrote:

he restored it from a box of bits but it was never a good bike as far as riding went but i feel it looks great in the lounge

WTF ????

24-12-2013 08:56 PM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply

Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites
Rate This Thread: